About
Calculators
  Material Calculators

History - A Few Words About Us

A partnership in 1920 between Edward F. Regenhardt and brothers, Bob, Charles and Arthur Harrison, led to the eventual establishment of Delta Companies, Inc. The partnership worked throughout the states of Missouri, Illinois and Kentucky building roads. 

Edward F. Regenhardt’s sons – Edward Jr., Ted and William, Sr. – bought into their father’s partnership in the 1930’s.

As time went on, Ted and Edward Jr. sold their part of the business to their brother, leaving William Regenhardt, Sr. as partners with the Harrison brothers.

Eventually, Bob Harrison bought Charles and Arthur Harrison’s shares. The company saw a partnership between William Regenhardt, Sr. and Bob Harrison, which began expansion into coal mines, highway construction and levee building.

Bob Harrison and William Regenhardt, Sr. started Southern Illinois Stone Company in 1948 – a quarry located in Buncombe, Illinois.

In 1952, William Regenhardt, Sr.’s ownership passed to his three sons: William, Jr., Thomas and Joe Regenhardt.  Bob Harrison passed his ownership to his nephew, Donald L. Harrison.  The four formed a partnership that would establish Delta Companies, Inc. as one of the largest concrete paving companies in the Midwest.  Delta Companies, Inc. performed work on the interstate highways in Missouri and Illinois. During this time, William Regenhardt, Jr. and a company mechanic invented the Concrete Form Paving machine for concrete paving on the interstates.

1959 brought about change in the company. The Regenhardt brothers, William, Jr., Thomas and Joe, sold their share of the construction business to Donald L. Harrison. The Regenhardt brothers maintained their part of ownership in the Southern Illinois Stone Company quarry with Donald L. Harrison.

In August of 1959, the construction part of the company became only the ninth highway-paving contractor in the nation to pave over a linear mile in one day while performing work on I-57 in Scott County, Missouri.

As the interstate program ended for the area around 1966, the company began converting from predominantly concrete construction company into the vertically integrated company it is today. Donald L. Harrison and the Regenhardt brothers purchased land in the southern part of Cape Girardeau, Missouri, and formed Southeast Missouri Stone Company, which began providing aggregates locally. Donald L. Harrison started Delta Asphalt, Inc. with the establishment of the Cape Girardeau Asphalt Plant in Missouri, while brothers William, Jr. and Tom Regenhardt began Southern Illinois Asphalt Company in Illinois. The company has been on a path of growth and change ever since.

Due to economic changes which slowed the demand for concrete construction, Donald L. Harrison moved his construction business to South America – where the company would build five sections of the Pan American Highway in the republics of Guatemala and El Salvador. This lasted from 1966 until around the year 1980, when a rise in terrorist activities in El Salvador prompted the sale of the company to a local business. The story goes that the Delta employees left quickly, with the minimum of provisions.

The famed French Quarter in Louisiana, called upon Delta Companies, Inc. in the 1980’s.  The streets required resurfacing before the World’s Fair and Delta Companies, Inc. completed most of the project work.

Delta Concrete was formed in 1987 and Delta Companies, Inc. entered the ready mix business. 

In 1992, Delta Companies, Inc. and Southern Illinois Stone Company became a part of COLAS, Inc., based in Morristown, New Jersey. Since that time, Delta has experienced periods of explosive growth – followed by periods of innovation and stabilization.

The Company continued to expand – involved in all phases of highway construction, specializing in hot mix asphalt and aggregates. Starting with the 1997 purchase of Baughn Construction in Arkansas, which added asphalt plants in Tuckerman and Black Rock, and continuing with the 1999 purchase of Clinton Materials Companies. This added six ready mix plants in Southeast Missouri, a limestone quarry in Williamsville, Missouri and a sand and gravel operation in Dexter, Missouri.

Delta Asphalt of Arkansas purchased two additional asphalt plants in Searcy and Heber Springs, Arkansas, along with a construction operation in 2002.

In 2004, the Clinton Quarry in Clinton, Arkansas was added to Delta Asphalt of Arkansas, producing the highest quality sandstone used in regional projects, including highway and infrastructure construction projects and projects within the natural gas operations industry.

Delta Companies is one of the few firms in today’s construction industry with the level of expertise, experience and longevity to carry forward successfully throughout the twenty-first century.  By combining strong project management with the latest technological advances and cutting edge construction methods, Delta Companies, Inc. has established a reputation for safely completing projects to specification while meeting time and budget constraints.